Michael G. Debnam is a Founding Partner at DebnamRust, PC. He has always focused his entire practice on divorce and family law, where he navigates the sensitive and nuanced issues facing families in litigation. Michael has experience practicing law in Dallas, Tarrant, Collin, Denton, Travis, Williamson, and Bexar counties. He provides a comprehensive approach that evaluates all strategies to minimize the financial and emotional impact of family law cases. He excels in negotiating creative settlements to minimize the burdens on his clients, while maximizing their negotiated outcomes. If necessary, Michael is experienced in litigating family law issues and is accustomed to fighting the biggest law firms in town. He is not afraid to litigate family law issues and fight for his clients. Michael and his team are willing to do whatever is needed to fight and protect his clients’ rights, children, and assets.
Michael is a proud ally of the LGBTQ+ community and refuses to take any cases involving any anti-LGBTQ+ positions. A large percentage of Michael's practice is assisting clients who:
(1) come out as LGBTQ+ and need assistance in ending their opposite-sex marriage while dealing with the complex emotional and financial issues that the family faces,
(2) either during a divorce or after the divorce, are fighting for custody of their LGBTQ+ children,
(3) are fighting for Courts to recognize LGBTQ+ children as such and recognize those children's unique needs when one parent is not LGBTQ+ affirming,
(4) are confronting a former spouse who wants to prevent their trans child from getting the counseling and medical support that they need, including puberty blockers and hormone blockers,
(5) are confronting a former spouse who wants to stop their trans child from using their proper pronouns,
(6) are ending their LGBTQ+ marriage
Michael has tried cases concerning LGBTQ+ issues in Dallas County, Tarrant County, Collin County, Travis County, and Williamson County.
Michael graduated from Texas Tech University with honors, earning a degree in International Economics with a minor in Philosophy. Michael attended the Texas Tech School of Law, and while in law school, was awarded best advocate in a championship mock trial competition, was a regional negotiation champion, and was a national finalist in the American Bar Association's Negotiation competition. Michael's law school career also focused on being an advocate for the LGBTQ community. He was a member of Lavender Law, the law school's student organization that advocates for the LGBTQIA community. Additionally, Michael worked with the diversity committee to implement strategies that aim to increase the diversity of the school.
Continuing Michael's commitment to the LGBT community, Michael is a member of the LGBT Section of the State Bar of Texas. He spends his free time actively participating in groups such as the Dallas LGBT Bar Association, GALA North Texas, Texas Trans Kids and Family, The Resource Center, and various other LGBT organizations.
His personal interests include Wine, Traveling, Soccer, Restaurants, the Dallas food scene, Art, Music, and spending time with family and friends.